How to Make a Pinewood Derby Car Display
When the race is over, enter the winner’s circle by building this display for your Pinewood Derby or model car.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE A DISPLAY
- Tape measure
- Lumpy rock
- Wood screws
- Narrow chisel
- Utility Knife (Optional)
- Wood glue
- 3/4″ x 10″ x 10 1/2″ board
- 3/4″ x 3 1/2″ x 10 1/2″ board
- 12″ x 12″ cork board
- 1/2″ x 2″ x 9″ wood strip (optional)
- 1/2″ x 1″ x 9″ wood strip (optional)
- Some black paint and white paint
- Paint brush
WHAT YOU’LL DO TO MAKE A DISPLAY
1. With the help of an adult, cut out the two boards and whack the small board with a rock. This will make the board rough like asphalt.
2. Chisel out four shallow depressions for the car’s wheels to sit in.
3. Glue and screw the two boards together using the three screws. Paint the whole thing black, or any color you like.
4. Use scissors to carefully cut the cork board into 1 1/2″ squares. Or, with an adult’s help, you can cut the cork with a utility knife.
5. Paint half the corkboard squares black and the other half white.
6. Glue the cork squares to the back of the display.
7. You can place or pin whatever you want on the completed stand. Your Pinewood Derby car or trophy would look great on the stand. Display it on a flat surface or hang it on the wall.
HOW TO MAKE WALL MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR YOUR DISPLAY
You can use this trick to securely mount almost any heavy, flat object to a wall.
Cut the 1/2″ x 2″ x 9″ wood strip lengthwise at a 45-degree angle. Mount one piece about 1″ below the top of the back of the display and the other to the wall as shown. Attach the 1/2″ x 1″ x 9″ wood strip about 1″ from the bottom of the back of the display. The display will then slide firmly onto the wall.
PHOTOS OF COMPLETED PROJECT
Check out these photos of the completed project sent to us by Boys’ Life readers. If you have a photos of a BL Workshop project, please use the form below to send them to us.
What is pinewood derby? I would really like to know.
its basically cars carved from pinewood tree, but if you use it the correct way you can compete in pinewood derby racing with your scout master or peers
Easy as 1 2 3!
cool i won last year
Iwon “Best hot rod” Medal:)
awesome sold it for like 20 bucks
I was 2 over all last year I will win first over all
how did you win
it would be easier to get a sheet of black and white checkered paper in the scrapbook section and glue it down and go over it with glue or modge podge to seal it. That would be cheaper than buying cork too.
But it doesn’t look as nice.
IM NEVER GONNA WIN
don’t say that
Of course you are! Believe in yourself!
My Mario car last year was the best!
when you do the squars black and white why cut them out just leave it the way it is and paint it [y]