To create an adjustable loop that stays in place, use the taut-line hitch. This is the knot to use for staking out the guy lines of your tent or dining fly.
- Pass the running end of the rope around the tent stake.
- Bring the end over and around the standing part, then back through the loop that has formed.
- Go around the standing part inside the loop again (this time closer to the tent stake).
- Going in the same direction, take the end around the standing part outside the loop to tie another half-hitch.
- Work any slack out the knot.
- Slide the hitch to tighten or loosen the line.