Father’s Day is coming up. Show dad you care with a do-it-yourself Father’s Day gift.
GET CRACKIN’ WITH THIS PEANUT BRITTLE
Dad will love this homemade peanut brittle.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE PEANUT BRITTLE:
- 1 cup of roasted peanuts
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Baking sheet
- Pot holders
- Large microwave-safe bowl
- Cooking spray or stick of butter
- Ribbon and tag
- Clear gift bag
WHAT YOU’LL DO TO MAKE PEANUT BRITTLE:
1. Grease the cookie sheet with cooking spray. You can also use margarine or butter.
2. Mix the sugar and corn syrup in the microwave-safe bowl.
3. Microwave for about 3 minutes or until very bubbly. Use the pot holders to remove the hot bowl.
4. Quickly stir in the melted butter and peanuts. Cook for roughly 2 more minutes or until light brown.
5. Stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
6. Pour quickly all around on the cookie sheet let it cool.
7. Break brittle into large pieces. Place it in the bag, and add the ribbon and tag.
BOLT BOTTLE OPENER
Glass bottles can be tricky to open, so this cool tool is sure to come in handy.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE A BOTTLE OPENER:
- Scrap of wood about 1″ thick
- Nut and bolt ¾” longer than thickness of wood
- Safety goggles
WHAT YOU’LL DO TO MAKE A BOTTLE OPENER:
1. Wear safety goggles and cut the wood to about 9-by-2 inches and sand it smooth.
2. Drill a bolt-sized hole through the wood about 1″ from an end.
3. Place the bolt through the hole. Allow the bolt head to stick out about ¾” from the wood. Tighten the nut onto the bolt on the back of the wood.
KING OF THE GRILL WITH THIS TASTY BBQ SAUCE
Embrace your inner chef and make this tasty BBQ sauce in a jar.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE BBQ SAUCE:
- 1 empty jar with lid
- ½ cup of ketchup
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons of mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Gift paper, string and gift tag
WHAT YOU’LL DO TO MAKE BBQ SAUCE:
1. Pour the ingredients into the jar.
2. Close tightly and shake.
3. The gift paper goes over the lid, and a personalized tag makes it special.
GET DAD ORGANIZED WITH A WALL ORGANIZER
Dad will bungee-jump for joy with this useful wall organizer.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE AN ORGANIZER:
- Board about ½” thick and at least 2′ long
- Bungee cord at least 2½’ long
- Paint or wood stain
- Staple gun and staples
- Matches or lighter
- Picture-hanging kit
- Rubber gloves, paint mask and safety goggles
WHAT YOU’LL DO TO MAKE AN ORGANIZER:
1. Wear safety goggles and cut the board to 2′ length. Drill holes through the board about 1″ in from each end. Make the holes slightly bigger than the bungee cord. Sand smooth.
2. Paint or stain the board and let it dry. Wear paint mask and gloves while painting.
3. Cut the hooks off the bungee cord and trim it down to 2½’. Melt the ends of the cord with a match or lighter so they won’t fray.
4. Pull the cord through the holes. Staple down one end of the cord on the back of the board. Stretch it a little, and then staple down the other end. Hammer in staples as needed. Attach the picture-hanging kit to the back of the board.
LAPTOP STAND/COOLER BECAUSE HOT LAPTOPS = NOT COOL!
Laptops need air circulation, so make dad a PVC laptop stand.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE A LAPTOP STAND:
- 3′ of ¾” PVC pipe
- Six 90-degree elbows of the same diameter
- PVC glue
- Spray paint that bonds to plastic
- Paint mask and gloves
- Measuring tape
- Felt pen
WHAT YOU’LL DO TO MAKE A LAPTOP STAND:
1. Cut the pipe into the following pieces: One piece 10½” long, two pieces 7½” long and two pieces 3½” long.
2. Sand rough edges. Paint the pieces and let them dry. Be sure to wear paint mask and gloves while painting.
3. Assemble and glue the sections, pressing them firmly in place.
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today