You’re frantic. Panicked even. In exactly one hour, your troop is heading out the door on a warm-weather outing — and you’re struggling to pack. What clothes do you need to bring? How about extra gear?
Just take a deep breath and use this handy checklist. In addition to the basic camping gear, you’ll also need:
- Long-sleeved shirt (lightweight)
- Long pants (lightweight)
- Sweater or warm jacket
- Brimmed hat
- Rain gear
- Extra underwear (for longer trips)
WARM-WEATHER EXPERT ESSENTIALS:
From Mark Anderson, program director, Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, N.M.
- Water. “Always pack enough water depending on the climate and the availability of fresh water where you’ll be. Here in the desert Southwest, we suggest bringing four liters for the day. That works out to about a liter for every 1 to 1.5 hours of hiking.”
- Rain suit. “A good, quality rain suit will allow you to keep hiking and remain active around camp while still enjoying the experience.”
- Boots. “When backpacking, I prefer hiking boots over trail runner-type shoes—safety is the issue. Also make sure your boots fit correctly and are well broken in.”
- Backpack that fits. “Both internal- and external-frame backpacks work fine. The key is to test drive your pack on several short hikes before taking a long trip. This ensures that all of your pack adjustments are done properly.”
TWO THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW YOU NEEDED:
- Personal blister kit. “Even with well-broken-in boots and socks that you have hiked in before, you can still get a blister. Being able to take care of blisters early can ensure that it doesn’t negatively impact your trek. I even carry a blister kit on day hikes.” A good blister kit will include moleskin, adhesive tape, safety pins and antibiotic ointment.
- Parachute cord, 20 feet. “Parachute cord can be used for all sorts of things from backpack and tent repairs to a clothesline and replacement shoelaces.”
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today