How to Get a Player’s Autograph
It’s not as easy to get an autograph in person as it was when your dad was your age.
Professional athletes today tend to keep their distance, and some will sign autographs only for money. Still, there is a way to get autographs both from current players and from players who have been retired for years: the U.S. mail.
Think you know the rules of baseball? Make the call in our quiz.
• Go through your sports trading cards and identify a player you would like to ask for an autograph. It’s probably best to start with less well-known players, because they’re less likely to receive as many requests.
• Write a polite, friendly letter asking the player to autograph your card. Remember that athletes, like all celebrities, receive many requests from fans. Writing a thoughtful letter is key.
• If the player is still active, simply mail him your request in care of his team. Addresses for all Major League teams can be found at mlb.com. For retired players, most libraries will have a book or two containing player addresses. Try Jack Smalling’s “The Baseball Autograph Collector’s Handbook,” available in some libraries or at baseballaddresses.com. This book, updated periodically, contains more than 11,000 addresses of players, coaches and umpires.
• Once you have a player’s address, mail the letter and the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and be patient. It can sometimes take months to receive a reply. Good idea: Send only cards of which you have duplicates. Some players won’t respond, and you’ll never see the card again.
• When you do get a signed card back, be sure to send a thank you note.
Laugh your way to the ballpark with these baseball jokes
What Autographs Do You Have?
Tell us which autographs you’ve collected and how you got them in the comments field below.
I got a Michael jordon, Nelson Cruz, and a Mariano Rivera card all for free
i have a friend who has a signed football from brady i think
In 2019 I got bernado slivas and otamendis this year I got ryard mahrez and fernandiho and Luke mbete and CJ eagan Riley at Man City game I nearly got Gabriel Jesus
I have autographs from Mike Zunino of the Tampa Bay Rays, Ross Stripling of the Toronto Blue Jays (who got his 2020 World Series ring that day) and Aaron Loup of the Angels (who was on the New York Mets at that time). I brought my 2019 Rays All Star Game cap, my 2019 Tampa Bay Rays yearbook, and 2021 Dodger yearbook in the past. I’ve stood near the visitors dugout at Angel Stadium which is less crowded than the Angels dugout. All I did was just ask
I still really want a autographed card
I got Messi’s
i have an autographed babe ruth rookie card i found it while i was geocaching
my dad has 3 Mickey Mantel autographs on 3 separate cards and one on a blank sheet of paper. he has over 30 different autographs from various players from all teams of the MLB.
Taysome Hill. GO BYU COUGS!!!
I have a baseball signed by Seth McClung (Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Milwaukee Brewers pitcher). He did a baseball clinic at my Little Leage and I got to meet him.
I have a card that is signed by glen Perkins
I have autographs for Devin Funchess, Shaq Thomspon, Jon Beason (Yes, I’m a Panthers fan), Taylor Kelly (1/49, too), Mikie Mahtook, and Matt Andriese (On-dreez-ee)
My dad has a Babe Ruth autograph from his dad
My friend has a collection of cards that have the uniforms on them
I have some of those too. They are really cool.
I have an Brett Farve card Autograph by Brett Farve and his helmet,too. Go packers🏈
green and gold #packers
About to get Steph Curry, Klay Thompson,etc.
I got an autograph from Jimmy Carter and President Obama. They don’t even have cards!
I got Russell Wilson’s autograph!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a Ed Cranepool and a Buddy Harrleson autograph.
i have a signed football with the autographs of all the 2010 super bowl champion Green Bay Packers (no joke, i won it in a raffle)
Drew Brees is worth mid 20’s and 30’s normally.
I got all the guys from the Harlem Globetrotters. Such legends…
I got autographed pictures of The Miami Heat players during special events at the stadium.
I collect the autographs of players from my favorite team, the Detroit Tigers. I have collected all of these autographs in person, either at the ballpark during the season or at baseball card shows in the off-season. For me, it is just a thrill to meet these guys and talk about baseball!
how much would a gretzky card be worth?
Gretzky’s rookie card, about $70-$200 depending on the card. 90’s gretzky cards, $1-$10.
How much do you think drew brees’ card is?
like at least 20 bucks