If I were to choose one bird feeder to watch out my window, it would be a platform feeder. This simple project makes an ample feeder for serving a flock of seed eaters. (And it makes a great gift.)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- One 30-inch 1-inch-by-12-inch board (You can also cut a similar-size piece from a ¾ -inch-thick piece of plywood; treated wood weathers better.)
- 7 feet of 1-inch-by-1-inch pine (Or use 1-inch pine quarter round trim, or cut 1-inch by 1-inch strips from the 3/4 –inch-thick plywood).
- 10 galvanized 6-penny box or finishing nails
- One 1-inch pipe flange with four ¾-inch screws
- One 6 to 8 foot length of 1-inch galvanized pipe with one end threaded. (You can also screw the feeder onto a deck railing or hang it from eyehooks.)
Note: A roof is not necessary, but one can be added to keep the bird seed drier.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
STEP 1: Cut platform feeder base.
STEP 2: Measure and cut trim pieces so that they fit around the edge of the top of the platform feeder. This will serve to contain the bird seed.
STEP 3: Nail or screw the trim pieces to the platform feeder.
STEP 4: Fasten the pipe flange in the center of the bottom side of the platform with ¾-inch screws. (Or fasten screw eyes to each end of the platform if you want to hang it up.)
STEP 5: Screw pipe into the pipe flange and erect your platform feeder in your yard within viewing distance of your window.
Place the platform feeder in your best viewing position — but also consider nearby shrubs and trees for shelter and protection for the feeding birds. In open areas, place your feeder on the side of the house that is most protected from winter winds.
Each bird species has its special habits and needs. The best high-energy foods include sunflower seeds, peanut kernel, white proso millet and suet (beef fat).
Lastly, because birds will come to depend on your platform feeder, it is important that you keep it full of food. Neglect it, and birds could suffer.
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today