Challenge your friends and family with this giant version of a classic game.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Six 2″ x 4″ x 8′ boards if you make the larger set, or two 2″ x 2″ x 10′ boards if you make the smaller set
- Work gloves
- Dust mask
- Safety glasses
- Tape measure
- Carpenter’s square
- Cross-cut saw
- Hand sander
- Three grades of sandpaper: coarse 60-grit, medium 120-grit, fine 180-grit
- Water-based polyurethane
- Fine steel wool
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. If you make the larger set, cut 54 2″ x 4″ x 10 1⁄2″ blocks from the six 2″ x 4″ x 8′ boards. If you make the smaller set, cut 48 2″ x 2″ x 41⁄2″ blocks from the two 2″ x 2″ x 10′ boards.
2. Put on the gloves, safety glasses and dust mask. Use the hand sander to sand all the blocks with the coarse 60-grit sandpaper. After the blocks are sanded with the 60-grit paper, sand them with the 120-grit, then again with the 180-grit. If you’re 13 or younger, have a trusted adult operate the sander for you
3. Apply the first coat of polyurethane. After it is completely dry, smooth all the blocks with steel wool. Apply a second coat of polyurethane. Use the steel wool again so all the blocks are smooth enough to slide easily. Your giant wood block game is complete.
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today