How to Grow Your Own Crystals
It might seem like magic, but all you’re doing is collecting salt crystals from evaporated salt water. (It’s still cool!)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 4 cups of water
- Wooden spatula
- Heat-safe glass jar
- Food coloring (optional)
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. With the help of an adult, bring the water to a boil in the saucepan. Fill the jar with the hot water.
2. Add salt to the hot water one tablespoon at a time until no more salt can dissolve into the water. Stir each time you add the salt until it fully dissolves. It will take about one tablespoon of salt for every ounce of water.
3. Tie one end of the string to the middle of the pencil. Attach the paperclip to the other end, which will keep the string hanging straight in the jar.
4. Place the pencil on top of the jar so the string hangs down into the middle of the jar. If the paperclip touches the bottom of the jar, it is too long. To add color to your crystals, put a few drops of food coloring in the water.
5. Put the jar in a warm place. Within a few days, the water will start to evaporate and you will see your salt crystals forming. The longer you let it sit, the more crystals you will grow.
No. It is just coloured salt. It will taste like salt.
I have not done it yet. does the rock candy taste good?
Very funny to do. I had a lot of fun while doing it.
it took me a long time but it was worth it
What was the wooden spatula for?
This website is awesome
took me a while to stir in the salt, but it was worth it
This is awesome…I did both the Rock Candy…It’s powerful
does the rock candy taste good?
Use sugar instead of salt, and you have rock candy!
This is interesting because the salt sticks to the string and the paperclip. adding food coloring to the water changes the color of the crystal. This is an easy and interesting project.
i think this article is really cool. it definitely got my attention. this article basically shows and tells you how to make crystals.it tells you the tools you will need to make it. the things you will need will be Salt,4 cups of water,Tablespoon,Wooden spatula,Saucepan,Heat-safe glass jar,String,Paperclip,Pencil,and Food coloring that is optional