SAFETY FIRST: Ask an adult to help with tools you haven't used before.
What You’ll Need:
• Snap hook (If you decide to make a dog leash).
• A variety of materials can be used: string, rope, gardening twine or even discarded fishing line. This dog leash is made with leather lace from the hobby store.
What You’ll Do:
1. Decide how long you want your dog leash to be, and cut a piece of leather lace about two-and-a-half times the finished length.
2. Thread the lace through the snap hook.
3. Wrap the lace around a door knob.
4. Leaving your index finger and thumb free, hold the lace with your left hand.
5. Use both hands to tightly twist the right side.
6. Once the right lace is tightly twisted, switch the twisted lace to the left hand and the untwisted lace to the right hand. Repeat the twisting process.
7. Now that both the left and right sides are twisted, hold them tightly together and remove the lace from the door knob. (You might need some help with this.)
8. Once removed from the door knob the lace will twist itself into a handmade rope.
Apply tape to the end of your new rope to keep it from unraveling. Use any type of strong twine to make a whipping knot as shown. Wrap the twine as tight as you can and pull the loop about halfway under the wraps. Trim any extra twine flush with the edge of the knot. Cut off the taped end. Leave some cordage protruding beyond the knot (about the diameter of the cordage in length). You can apply some glue to the knot to make it extra strong.
Important Note: Please only upload photos of your project. Because of privacy rules, we can't post any photos that show people's faces. Always ask for your parent's permission before uploading anything to a website.