Here are 10 interesting facts about the platypus, one of nature’s most unusual animals.
1. A platypus has a body like an otter, a bill and webbed feet like a duck, and a tail like a beaver.
2. They live in Australia.
3. Platypuses are nocturnal. They sleep during the day and are active at night.
4. They spend up to 12 hours each day hunting for food.
5. Platypuses cover their eyes, nose and ears while swimming.
6. When on land, their webbed feet retract to reveal claws that help them walk.
7. Platypuses are 20 inches long and weigh about 3 pounds.
8. Newly hatched platypuses are the size of lima beans.
9. The platypus is one of only two types of egg-laying mammals. The other is a spiny anteater called an echidna.
10. The platypus is one of only three mammals that produces venom. The others are the slow loris and European mole.