Romo is a programmable robot that is brought to life by you! Romo can be programmed to follow a person’s face, drive a certain distance, be a roving photographer, or play music at a certain time. Programming Romo is quick and easy — everything you need is included in the free iOS app from the Apple App Store. Results are instant and require no additional equipment other than a Romo and a compatible iOS device. Try programming Romo to be a roving photographer or a personal spy bot!
Download software: Romo iPhone App
Cost: App is free / Romo Robot Base is $149
Instructions to setup software: None needed. Instructions in app.
Hardware requirements: Romo Robot + iPhone 4/4S / iPod Touch 4th Generation/ iPhone 5 / iPod Touch 5th Generation
Operating systems supported: iOS
Difficulty level: 1 out of 5
1. Plug your iOS device into the Romo Robot base.
2. Launch the Romo app from your iOS device or press Allow when prompted with a notification screen to launch the Romo app.
3. Tap anywhere on Romo’s face when the app launches to view the menu.
4. Tap “Train” on the bottom left of the screen to enter the Romo Training Interface.
5. Tap “Add New Event” on the bottom of the Training screen.
6. Select a behavior event that sets the input event for Romo i.e. “When Romo is picked up” or “When you press Start”
7. Tap the plus (+) symbol to add an action that should occur as a result of when this event occurs i.e. “Drive forward” “Turn” or “Make a Face”.
8. Pick how far and how fast Romo should drive, how much Romo should turn, or what face Romo should make when your event happens.
9. You can add multiple actions to an event so that Romo does all the actions whenever an input event happens.
10. Tap the upper left corner on the double window icon to return to the Training screen.
11. Tap the upper right corner on the Start button to start your Romo’s behavior that you’ve programmed. Program different events and actions in conjunction to make your Romo your own one-of-a-kind robot!
ABOUT THE PROGRAM — A WALK THROUGH
1. The Romo app is an all inclusive programming interface for your Romo robot base. After you download the free app from Apple App Store, plug in your iOS device into your Romo robot base. There is no additional setup or materials required to start programming your own personal robot and seeing the results within seconds.
2. Romo can be remote controlled over Wi-Fi networks using another iOS device on the same Wi-Fi network. Drive him around to see through his robot eyes.
3. You can also remote control your Romo from anywhere in the world using a computer or iOS as long as your docked iOS device on Romo is an iPhone 4S or higher.
4. For further advanced development, the company offers a SDK that allows you to write custom programs for your own Romo. Check out http://romotive.com/developers for quickstart guides, documentation, and examples.
TRY THESE CHALLENGES
1. Program Romo to drive in a square, and then go backwards in a square back to where you started.
2. Program Romo to display “Hello!” whenever he sees a face and take a picture.
3. Program Romo to act angry whenever he is picked up and display “Put me down!”. When Romo is put down, have him act excited and display “Thanks!”.
4. How would you make Romo dance?
5. Add obstacles and have Romo navigate around them by poking his left or right eyes.
Romotive Developers – Want to make your own custom Romo behaviors and actions using Objective C? Go here to get started with the Romotive SDK.
Romotive SDK Quickstart Guide – Get started using the Romotive SDK to make your own custom behaviors and actions with your Romo
Romotive SDK Samples – Romotive SDK samples to give you ideas about what you can create.
Romotive SDK Documentation – Objective C/iOS frameworks for interfacing with Romo.
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today