This wash station is sturdy, portable and very useful when camping away from washroom facilities. Here’s how to build it.
Six good, straight sticks as follows:
- Two 2′ x 3/4″ to 1″ sticks for the leg braces
- Two 4′ x 3/4″ to 1″ sticks for the back leg and crossbar
- Two 5′ x 3/4″ to 1″ sticks for the front legs
FOR THE LASHINGS, YOU’LL NEED:
- One 10′ x /1 4″ manila rope or binder twine for the tripod lashing
- Six 6′ x /1 4″ manila rope or binder twine for the square lashings
YOU’LL ALSO NEED:
- Bar of soap in a sock with a 3′ cord
- Small- to medium-sized towel with a 3′ cord
- No. 10 metal can with a bail or 4-quart cooking pot with a bail
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. Using the 10′ rope, lash together the two 5′ sticks and one 4′ stick with a tight tripod lashing. The 4′ stick should be in the middle. Make sure the “butt” ends of all three of these sticks are even. Separate the legs and set up the tripod. The success of this project relies on a well-tied tight tripod lashing.
2. Lash on the braces. Using four tight square lashings, with the 6′ ropes lash one end of the 2′ sticks to the 5′ legs and the other end of the 2′ sticks to the 4′ leg.
3. Lash on the crossbar. Using two more square lashings, tightly lash the other 4′ stick to the top extended sections of the two 5′ sticks to make a crossbar for the towel and soap-in-a-sock.
4. Add the soap, water and towel. Tie the end of one 3′ cord to the soap-in-a-sock and the end of the other 3′ cord to the towel, and hang them on either side of the 4′ crossbar.
5. Hang the can filled with water to the end of the 4′ stick extending from the front of the tripod.
HOW TO USE IT
During the camping trip, change the water as necessary. See that the soap-in-a-sock is not left in the can after use, since it will melt. One of the beauties of using metal containers is that in cold weather, the can of water can be heated in the fire.
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today