Recent Comments

I Lost My Sunglasses. What Should I Get to Replace Them?

Q: I lost my sunglasses on my troop’s last campout. What should I get to replace them?
— Jackson, Minneapolis, Minnesota

A: To protect your eyes, you’ll want a pair that blocks ultraviolet rays. These sunrays, which can contribute to cancer and sunburns, can also damage every part of your eyes. Many sunglasses have some degree of UVA/UVB protection, but check the label to see how much.

For clarity and protection, shop for sunglasses that have both 100% UVA/UVB protection and polarized lenses. Even in the winter, it’s a good idea to wear shades because snow reflects sunlight. Polarized lenses don’t add any ultraviolet ray protection, but they do reduce glare.

The Tifosi Swank ($25, comes in many colored lens tints: blue, red, yellow, brown and gray. These colors help filter light and can enhance your vision in certain settings. Yellow and red tints often help in the snow.

Shady Rays Signature Series Black Glacier ($54, has a durable frame and shatter-resistant lenses. If they do break or you lose them, the company has replacement programs.

To keep your new shades from falling off, attach a fabric strap to the glasses’ arms.

Ask the Gear Guy

Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Click here to send in your questions for the Gear Guy. Selected questions will be answered here and in the printed magazine.

Leave a Comment

Please don't use your real name.