Campfire building is an important camping skill. However, overuse of campfires and an increasing demand for firewood has degraded the natural appearance of many areas. When building a fire, remember to leave no trace:
- Choose not to have a fire in areas where there is little wood: high elevations, heavily used areas or desert settings.
- The best place to build a fire is within an existing fire ring in a well-placed campsite.
- Keep the fire small, and keep it burning only when you are using it.
- Allow wood to burn completely to ash. Put it out with water, not dirt.
- Keep fires away from tents and tarps. Avoid rock outcrops, where black scars can remain for years.
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today