Serves about 12
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- One large onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- One bell pepper, chopped
- One loaf day-old bread, cubed and placed into large mixing bowl
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Two eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place a 12-inch camp-style Dutch oven over a pile of hot charcoal. Add oil, onion, celery and bell pepper. Sauté until vegetables are soft. Remove mixture from oven and place in the large mixing bowl that contains bread. Add raisins and pecans. Toss.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, chicken stock, pepper and salt. Pour over bread and vegetables, tossing lightly until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour mixture into Dutch oven. Bake at 350 degrees (16 coals around lid and nine coals in a circle beneath the oven) for 30-45 minutes until top is golden brown and eggs are set.
Special thanks to Leslie and Steve Lovett of texasironchef.com
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today