How to Tie a Taut-Line Hitch
Click here to watch a video tutorial.
To create an adjustable loop that stays in place, use the taut-line hitch. This is the knot to use for staking out the guy lines of your tent or dining fly.
- Pass the running end of the rope around the tent stake.
- Bring the end over and around the standing part, then back through the loop that has formed.
- Go around the standing part inside the loop again (this time closer to the tent stake).
- Going in the same direction, take the end around the standing part outside the loop to tie another half-hitch.
- Work any slack out the knot.
- Slide the hitch to tighten or loosen the line.
this was great! I had to use real rope to finally get it. I was trying with just a small string. the video with the guy actually tying the rope was the best.
Step 5 & 6 are not even help on this knot
its not impossible.
I still cant do it 🙁
I am going to do this over and over until I memorize it.
Finally, getting the Arrow Of Light badge for my son! Thanks!
im finally getting my scout rank
sincere thanks! I’m an Eagle Scout since 1964, but could not remember the taut line hitch!